Upgrading JReviews from a PHP 5 server to PHP 7
The instructions below also apply when going from PHP 7.0 to PHP 7.1 because JReviews has different package distributions for these PHP versions
PHP 7 is a huge upgrade because it comes with significant performance improvements over PHP 5.6. Not only can it run apps up to twice as fast, but it is also a lot more memory efficient. So that translates into a huge performance boost for your site without the need to upgrade the hardware that supports it. JReviews v188.8.131.52 is the first release of JReviews that is compatible with PHP 7.
It's important to note that the upgrade to PHP 7 is not mandatory and JReviews will continue to ship for PHP 5 and PHP 7 as a download package. Also when updating remotely, the correct version will be installed depending on whether you are using PHP 5 or PHP 7.
Minimum version requirements for Joomla and WordPress'
The latest JReviews versions are only developed and tested against the latest versions of Joomla and WordPress so it is always recommended that you use the latest versions of these platforms. While older versions of WordPress (4.3) will work with PHP 7, in the case of Joomla the minimum version required is 3.5. So if you are using an older version of Joomla you would first need to update it before you can start enjoying the benefits of PHP 7.
Steps to upgrade JReviews to PHP 7
- Check with your host to see if they'll be able to upgrade your server. Many hosts now allow you to do this directly from the hosting panel
- Also check with your host if they have already installed ionCube loaders v6.0.3 or higher or if you are able to install them yourself. This is the minimum version required to use with JReviews on PHP 7.
- Make sure all your Joomla extensions or WordPress plugins are compatible with PHP 7
- Make a backup or your site or create a development site so you can test the upgrade there
- Upgrade your server to PHP7 and the ionCube loaders to v6.0.3 or higher. If you need to update the loaders on your own, you can find the latest versions in the ionCube site.
- Download the latest JReviews package from the Client Area and find the jreviews zip file inside the "jreviews-for-php7" folder.
- If you have Add-ons installed, rename the Add-ons folder /components/com_jreviews_addons (Joomla) or /wp-content/plugins/jreviews_addons (WordPress). Choose any name you want. You can delete the renamed folder after you complete the upgrade.
- If you are on Joomla, go to the Joomla extensions manager and install the new JReviews component zip without the need to uninstall first. If you use JomSocial, you also need to update all the plugins included in the download package and you do that also from the extensions manager.
- If you are on WordPress, deactivate the JReviews plugin, delete it, and then install the new JReviews plugin zip and activate it. Your existing data will not be lost.
- If you had Add-ons installed, go to the JReviews admin remote install & update page to re-install them.
Once you have JReviews working on PHP 7 the remote updates functionality will automatically request the PHP 7 package for you when a new version is released.